News Archive : 2000/2001


Rhyl have appointed Lee Williams as the new first team manager. Lee has had extensive experience in the League of Wales, player-managing Bangor City and playing in goal for both Rhyl and Llansantffraid. His signing from the reigning champions is a coup for Rhyl, and shows the club's determination to rise up the table.

An assistant to Lee will be appointed in the next few days.

Rhyl Thirds 2 Porthmadog Reserves 1
In this NWCFA Junior Cup tie the Thirds came back from a goal down to beat a strong Porthmadog side. Neil Jones equalised just before the break and it was substitute and leading scored Dean Billingsley who powered home the winner. They now entertain Llanrug United Reserves in Round 2.

Hawarden Rangers 1 Rhyl Colts 9

The Colts kept up their 100% record in the Clwyd Junior League (Under 16) with an excellent win at fancied Hawarden Rangers. David Collingson led the way with a hat-trick while Daniel Thomas hit two goals, also on target were Ryan Pimley, John Badham, Andy Davies and Ben Derbyshire.

Hearts Wanderers 0 Rhyl Juniors 10
Rhyl Juniors (under 13) progressed into the next round of their League Cup with a 10-0 win at Hearts Wanderers, also keeping their 100% record intact.

Rhyl's postponed match at Connah's Quay has been re-scheduled for next Tuesday, 10th of October. kick Off 7.30pm.

Rhyl will again be participating in the North Wales Floodlit League this season. The fixtures announced to date are as follows;
Tue 24/10: Home v Holywell
Tue 7/11: Away v Porthmadog
Tue 14/11: Home v Mold Alex
Tue 21/11: Away v Flint Town
Tue 5/12: Home v Connah's Quay


Rhyl registered their record League of Wales victory with a clinical display of finishing in today's match at Victoria Road. With Mark Antrobus and James Brewerton restored to the centre of defence Rhyl proved too strong for the hosts in all departments.

Lee Trundle opened the scoring when he accepted the ball from a throw-in, fended off the attentions of a defender and lobbed the goalkeeper with a sweet shot after fifteen minutes. Rhyl continued to press and some more good work from Trundle saw him feed a lovely through ball to Danny Barton and he made no mistake with a crisp left footed finish from just inside the box.

The second half was only a few minutes old when Trundle was felled by a clumsy challenge inside the box. The offender was sent off, and then the goalkeeper did well to save the resultant penalty.  However, in the goalmouth melee that followed a home defender put the ball into his own net.  

Trundle then embarked on a solo run from the halfway line which saw him rocket the ball past the keeper for number four. Port Talbot had another player sent off before Trundle completed his hat-trick and Gary McGosh completed the six-goal rout. A cool finish from one of the Athletic substitutes was the only home score close to the end.

The manner of the performance was the most pleasing aspect of this victory. Rhyl played as a team, passing the ball with great accuracy and battling for each other. Steve Jones was a revelation playing at the back, freeing the pacier forwards to cause untold problems up-front. New signing Sherratt showed some nice touches down the wing in the first half half and the defensive pairing of Antrobus and Brewerton, along with Powell and Curtis made the back line complete. Lee Williams, as ever, commanded his area with great authority.

Lee Trundle was on fire again, equalling if not bettering his performance against Rhayader earlier in the season. Danny Barton was on-hand to capitalise upon the attention giving to Trundle, giving Rhyl a fantastic set of options in the forward line.

If this form can be maintained then a surge up the table will be a certainty!

RHYL: Williams, Powell, Curtis, Brewerton, Antrobus, Jones, Gibson, McGosh,Barton (A Thomas), Trundle (Fisher Cooke), Sharratt.


The Reserves move into second place in the Tyn Lon Volvo Welsh Alliance League after this excellent result in front of a 100 plus crowd at Belle Vue on Friday night. In the crowd was new manager Lee Williams and he was impressed by what he saw. Rhyl attacked from the first minute with Phil Owens prominent, Jon Fisher-Cooke had an effort saved and Peter Armstrong put a header wide when well placed. Dale Milne fired wide for the visitors, while at the other end Town keeper Nigel Owen saved from Liam Murray and Sean Morgan. Ex Rhyl player Justin Jones blazed over the bar before Town had a lucky break in the 27th minute, Murray charged down a defensive clearance and Simon Wallis saw his 25 yard chip come back off the post. Fisher-Cooke fired inches past the post and Armstrong also went close. A minute before the break Owens held his head in his arms as he powered a shot against the post. In the final minute Wallis clashed heads and was taken off the pitch with a badly gashed head. Rhyl made two substitutions at half time Phil Goodwin replaced Wallis and Phil Graham replaced James Brewerton who was on first team duty on Sunday. Rhyl keeper Jamie Jones saved from John Hargreaves before Goodwin saw his shot come off the crossbar. The breakthrough finally came in the 53rd minute, pressure in the Town box saw the ball break to Morgan and he drilled the ball home off the far post. Town were finding it hard to get back into the game and on 67 minutes they fell further behind, Fisher-Cooke broke at pace down the right and found Goodwin who drew the keeper and applied a clinical finish. Jones then saved at Kippax feet and Kippax was only inches wide with a header. Town were getting frustrated and in the 81st minute Milne was sent off for his second yellow card. The game was wrapped up in the 86th minute when Owens was fouled, he floated in the free kick which was flicked on by Goodwin and Fisher-Cooke turned the ball in. Ben Edwards was the second Town player to be sent off minutes later after giving the referee verbal abuse.

Rhyl: Jamie Jones, Sean Morgan, Casey Ingram, James Brewerton (Phil Graham) , Jim Smith, Phil Owens, Russell Jones, Peter Armstrong, Simon Wallis (Phil Goodwin), Jon Fisher-Cooke, Liam Murray.

The Thirds kept up their excellent form and Phil Goodwin scored both goals that sees them moved into third place in the League.

There were no game for either the Colts or Junior sides.

This Saturday 14/10 there are no games for the Reserves or Thirds, but our Youth side entertain Bangor City Youth in the Welsh Youth Cup.


Due to a waterlogged pitch, tonight's match at the Deeside Stadium has been postponed.


You Beauty! Goal Number 1!

Lee Trundle's chip beats the airborne goalie!

Get in there! Goal No 2!

Danny Barton (obscured by no 5)  rams
home Rhyl's second goal.

There's o-n-l-y one ... Mark Antrobus!

Mark Antrobus makes a welcome return
to the heart of the defence.

Rhyl's smiley new manager!

Rhyl's new player manager Lee Williams enjoys
victory in his first game in charge.

Nice one James!

James Brewerton made a solid return to the team.


Saturday Result (14/10)
RHYL 2 CEFN DRUIDS 1 (Welsh Cup)

Rhyl demonstrated that last week's demolition of Port Talbot was no flash in the pan by carrying on where they left in today's match at a wet Belle Vue.

Rhyl could have sealed the victory in a compelling first half that saw Druids goalkeeper Daniel Holcroft take centre-stage with some superb saves from Lee Trundle, Danny Barton and Chris Sherratt. Druids played their part in an entertaining match, managing to hold the on-fire Lilywhites until the 62nd minute when Mark Antrobus rose to head home his trademark goal from a corner. Rhyl failed to make the most of their chances and were left to rue them four minutes before the end of normal time when Frank Mottram headed an equaliser.

Having used their alloted substitutes before Rene Pinard wa injured , Druids were forced to play extra time with only ten men, and this enabled Rhyl to take control of affairs. The deciding goal coming from Gary McGosh on 104 minutes.

Rhyl's name now goes into the hat for next Sunday's live draw on S4C's 'Gol' Show.

RHYL: Williams, Powell, Curtis, Brewerton, Antrobus, Jones, Gibson (A Thomas), McGosh,Barton, Trundle, Sherratt.

The club are pleased to announce the appointment of John Hulse as assistant manager to Lee Williams at Belle Vue. John has had great success in the league previously with Conwy United and Bangor City.



Llansantffraid v Rhyl, April 2000

Peter Evans sees his shot blocked at Llansantffraid last April with current Rhyl manager Lee Williams in goal for the hosts.

Rhyl played well in both games last season. Outplaying the Champions for 70 minutes at Belle Vue and only losing to a scrambled effort in their penultimate game before lifting the Championship. Saturday's game promises to be another cracker, so make sure you come along to Belle Vue for the League's "Match of the Day"

The Saturday Match (21/10)

Webber Office Solutions sponsored Rhyl's great form of late continued with this fantastic result against last year's League of Wales champions TNS Llansantffraid.

Playing with the sun and kicking towards the 'Kop' End, Rhyl started the game brightly with an early onslaught that saw Danny Barton miss a fantastic chance in the first minute. Rhyl continued to boss matters with TNS restricted to playing their long ball game and trying to catch Rhyl on the break.   A series of corners and free kicks saw Mark Antrobus go closest with an effort that went narrowly wide with the goalkeeper well beaten. This level of pressure was certain to pay dividends and it was Gary McGosh who opened the account with a strong shot which beat Paul Smith in goal. 

A tactical substitution by TNS manager Andy Cale at half time saw  the visitors play an attacking formation, but with James Brewerton putting in a 'man of the match' performance in the centre of defence,  TNS could muster very few shots on target. The one effort that did get through was matched by manager Lee Williams who pushed the ball over the bar.

Rhyl made sure of the points midway through the half when, after some close calls, a deflected shot from winger Chris Sherratt beat Paul Smith for the second time. Rhyl had strong claims for a penalty late in the game when Lee Trundle was upended by two players, but this was forgotten at the end when jubilant scenes marked a momentous victory against the reigning League of Wales Champions.

RHYL: L Williams, M Powell, G Curtis, J Brewerton, M Antrobus, S Jones, S Gibson, G McGosh, D Barton (A Thomas), L Trundle, C Sherratt.

Att: 279

In the Welsh Cup draw made at Rhayader Town this evening, Rhyl were drawn away to Newtown, the fixture scheduled to be played on the weekend of the 18/19 November.

Tuesday Result (24/10)

Rhyl powered themselves into the next round of the Gilbert League Cup with this excellent win at the Deeside Stadium. Jon Kenworthy gave the hosts the lead after ten minutes only for Danny Barton to equalise four minutes later. Stuart Raine put Nomads ahead on 17' and it took a penalty kick from Lee Trundle on 25' to level matters. Further goals from Trundle (49') and Barton ten minutes from time sealed Rhyl's qualification to the knockout stages

RHYL: J Turner, M Powell, Curtis, M Antrobus, J Brewerton, S Jones, N Gibson (A Thomas), P Owens, D Barton, L Trundle (J Fisher-Cooke), C Sharratt.

Saturday Result (28/10)
Rhyl will consider this two points lost rather than one gained as they outplayed their hosts for large periods only to concede a late equaliser to debutant Tony Smith.

Playing with the wind, Rhyl opened brightly and could have gone ahead through Barton, Trundle and Sharratt before Aber took the lead. Tony Smith was given too much time and space, being able to run to the outside of the penalty box before unleashing a fantastic shot beyond the reach of Lee Williams into the top left hand corner of the net.

This spurred Rhyl into greater effort, Sharratt broke through on his own only to see his shot go wide of the post, and Mark Antrobus' 'back heeled' effort from a corner was cleared by a busy home defence. Aber were dangerous on the breakaway and some Paul Evans wizardry in the box almost cost Rhyl dear.

The second half followed the same pattern until Rhyl got the break they deserved. A move started in the Rhyl half saw Sherratt feed Trundle, and after racing upfield he in turn fed Danny Barton who fired the ball past the keeper despite the attentions of the defender.

Rhyl went ahead shortly afterwards when Lee Trundle scored from the spot after being brought down in the area. Aber introduced fresh legs in their hopes to equalise and the ploy worked when a free kick was knocked home by Tony Smith via the far post. Aber surged forward in the remaining minutes but some good work by Rhyl's defence saw the score remain unchanged. .

RHYL: L Williams, M Powell, G Curtis (P Owens), Antrobus, Brewerton, S Jones, N Gibson, G McGosh, D Barton, L Trundle, C Sharratt.

We're hoping to finish off the club guide in the Just4Fun section over the next few weeks. Oswestry Town are the latest club to be added.

Rhyl have been drawn Away to Caersws in the quarter finals of the League Cup. The match will be played on Tuesday 7th November, Kick Off 7:30pm


Back to Rhyl FC News Archive Index