News Archive : 1999/2000
January - February

Saturday 26/2/2000

Rhyl fall to Merlin's Marvels!

Carmarthen 1 Rhyl 0

Close one!
Antrobus is foiled by the goalkeeper
(Photographs of game now uploaded - click here)

You've heard of the "Desert Rats", but in this game it was more a case of the "drowned rats" as both sides served up good performances in torrential conditions.

With referee Simon Jones having an outstanding game - booking only one player - both sides played some constructive football in the middle of the park only to see moves collapse within sight of the goals.

Rhyl's defensive pairing of Mark Antrobus and Jamie Brewerton  had a great game, with Darren Wynne and Dave Fuller sparkling in midfield.  Gary Curtis and Stuart Pickthall were kept busy on the back wings as Carmarthen strove to cross balls in from both sides.

Rhyl had a few chances to score  in opening half with Fisher-Cooke breaking down the left but Fitzgerald in goal was up to everything Rhyl could muster.

The second-half was barely five minutes old when a cross from player/manager Tommy Morgan was headed in from the right by Gavin Rees to make it 1-0. Rhyl showed more and more urgency towards the end of the game, and in the dying moments could have snatched a point. A series of corner kicks seeing goalkeeper Danny Embleton joining the attack in the opposition penalty area!! It was all too little too late unfortunately. But the performance in the main was a good one, and with a little more firepower up front Rhyl might have been able to gleam at least a point from the game.

RHYL: Embleton, Pickthall, Curtis, Brewerton, Antrobus, Wynne, Fuller, Fisher-Cooke, Barton, Murray, K Evans. Sub: Tony Ungi for L Murray.

Friday 25/2/0000

When Saturday Comes ..

Barton back from injury - Delicate on International duty

Preview of Carmarthen v. Rhyl (LoW) - kick off 2.30pm

Rhyl complete a whirlwind month of games against West Wales teams with a tough trip to Richmond Park to play high-flying Carmarthen Town.

Rhyl 4 Carmarthen 0 96/7
Stuart Aitken challenges Simon Rocke to the ball in the first encounter between the two sides at Belle Vue in February 1997. Rhyl won 4-0.

Honours are even at present with a victory and a draw apiece since the clubs first met in the League of Wales in the 1996/97 season. Last season saw a very late header seal the points and manager Adie Jones will be hoping for more of the same to push the club further up the table.

The match at Belle Vue last October saw Rhyl caught by a sucker-punch ten minutes from time. Carmarthen had Ryan Nicholls sent off in the first half but with Rhyl doing all the attacking after the interval, a breakaway saw subsitute Nigel Nicholas in the right place at the right time to knock home the winner.

Carmarthen will be facing Rhyl without teenage scoring sensation Mathew Delicate in their ranks. He has been attracting the attention of scouts all season but has been called up for Schoolboy International duty against Eire and will be at Aberystwyth instead.

Danny Barton should be back in the Rhyl team after the collision which put him out of the game against Haverfordwest last week. Rhyl look to build on recent performances and field an unchanged team.

Carmarthen Town are one of the most welcoming clubs in the league so if you can make it to the game please do so - you won't be disappointed.

Saturday 19/2/2000

Bluebirds' wings clipped! - Barton bags another brace


Rhyl notched three goals for the first time this season and broke their two month home 'duck' in the process.

Building upon some encouraging performances of late, Rhyl's new-bloods played their part in what was a very good game to watch.

Chances fell for both teams before Liam Murray broke the deadlock on 41 minutes. Danny Barton's shot was smothered by 'keeper Ben Miles but broke free for Murray to pounce for his first LoW goal.

Miles kept his side in the game by making some outstanding saves from Liam Murray and   Karl Evans before Danny Barton volleyed home the second on 82 minutes.

It was Barton who took his 'tally' to 11 for the season on the stroke of 90 minutes. He ran through on the H'west goal only to be put out of the game by Ben Miles. Miles was sent-off for the offence, but the ball had already rolled into the net and the goal was allowed to stand.

An incredible 16 minutes of injury time was played at the end of the game, and it was in this time that Paul Burrows pulled a consolation goal back for his team.

On the whole another encouraging performance and one which stands the team in good stead for the match at Carmarthen on Saturday.

Team: Embleton, Pickthall, Curtis, Brewerton, Anthrobus, Fuller, P Evans, Wynne, Barton (Ungi), Murray, K Evans (Pomford)

Attendance: 159

Friday, 18/2/2000

When Saturday comes ....


Rhyl v. Haverfordwest County (2.30pm)

Mention this fixture to a Rhyl fan and it will conjure up memories of some enthralling games played between the two clubs in the past. Meetings were few and far between prior to the League of Wales, but in the two Welsh Cup ties that were played, Rhyl beat them twice at their own patch - the second time on the way to reaching the Welsh Cup final in 1993.

H'west v. Rhyl, October 1999.
Danny Barton (no 11) beats a home defender to cross
at Bridge Meadow in October 1999. Final Score: 2-2

League of Wales matches at Belle Vue have since gone the way of the Swansea-based Pembrokeshire team. In the 1997-98 season they visited Rhyl needing to win their last two matches to avoid relegation. County took the lead in the first half before some unbelievable decisions led to chaos on the pitch, with an innocent bystander being sent-off for violent conduct and the real culprits being let off the hook. The second half went from bad to worse with the match effectively killed off as a spectacle, Haverfordwest got a second goal in the last few minutes to secure victory. Another victory at Bangor City a week later secured their place in the LoW. Last season's match ended in more controlled circumstances with a 1-2 defeat.

The game at Haverfordwest last October ended in a 2-2 draw with a last minute goal from Andy Cairns making up for a nightmare journey down. Rhyl arrived late, then scored in the first minute before letting Haverfordwest come back into the match.

Rhyl will be keen to get their first home victory of the millennium under their belts, with Danny Embleton likely to return to goal.  Haverfordwest are on a good run themselves however, and will make it hard for the Lilywhites. Paul Burrows looks like joining his brother David in the side, and Richard Gay, Rhyl's perennial 'thorn in the side' also looks like being in the team.

There has yet to be a goal-less draw between these two sides, so to see some goal action, make sure you're at Belle Vue tomorrow, kick Off 2.30pm!

Tuesday, 15/2/2000

'Hot' Rod thanks Rhyl Football Club!

The boy from Brazil!

Rodrigo Maltarollo, the Brazilian player who spent time at Rhyl after visiting this website has recently emailed the club, keeping us informed of his progress.

After leaving Rhyl in pre-season, Rod went on to the New York Metrostars for a spell and upon his return to Brazil is now playing first division football in Flamengo.

He puts his progress down to the fitness he acquired whilst at Rhyl, and thanks the people at Rhyl for making him feel so welcome!

Rhyl FC welcomes inquiries from players wanting to prove themselves at League of Wales level. Email with your details for a possible trial.

Saturday, 12th February, 2000.

Cup hopes 'panned' -  Llanelli storm into quarter-finals


Rhyl's hopes of salvaging something from the season ended at Stebonheath Park after a superlative performance by the home team.

Rhyl suffered a set-back after only five minutes when Dave Fuller and a Llanelli centre-back were involved in a collision of heads. Fuller was stretchered off with his head wound and Aaron Thomas was brought on in his place. Rhyl looked dangerous early on, forcing a number of corners before Llanelli began to get back in the game.

The opening goal came shortly ten minutes before the interval. Rhyl were awarded a free-kick from the just outside the penalty box. Gary Curtis saw his kick rebound against the Llanelli wall, and within three passes the ball was in the back of the Rhyl net! Most of the Rhyl players had moved up for the free kick and when the ball was played across the face of the goal for Bowen to side-foot home, debutante 'keeper Wynn was powerless to prevent the score.

Rhyl suffered an early body-blow in the second half as Llanelli's 'no 7' pushed aside a challenge from Stuart Pickthall to cross for the ball to be headed home by Dickeson - an absolute peach of a goal.

Another 'classic' goal put Llanelli three-up, a shot from outside the box just falling over the head of Nicholas Wynn in the goal.

Danny Barton came closest to scoring for Rhyl when he rushed through on a one-on-one with the goalkeeper only to see his side-foot shot bounce on the wrong side of the post. There were other chances for both sides but with no addition to the score.

Stand-by goalkeeper Nicky Wynn had a very good game, earning a rapturous applause from the whole crowd after a number of good saves late on in the game, but despite the team showing 100%  commitment and endeavour it was not to be Rhyl's day.

Llanelli have shown themselves to be credible challengers to Barry Town's throne in the League of Wales, and also look like going far in the Welsh Cup. They played good football - sometimes too much for their own good, and fully deserve   to progress into the next round of the cup. Everyone at Rhyl wishes them well in the next round to be drawn tomorrow on the Gol programme on S4C at 2.00pm

Rhyl Team: Nicholas Wynne, Pickthall, Curtis, Rutter, Anthrobus, Fuller, Fisher-Cooke, Darren Wynne, Barton, Jones, Evans. subs: A Thomas, Casey Ingram, P Pomford.

Attendance:  222

Friday, 11/2/2000:

The Cup and the Sospan - Barton Optimistic

Welsh Cup Preview....LLANELLI v. RHYL (ko. 2.30pm)

It's make-or-break for Rhyl's season down at 'Stebo' in Saturday's fourth round match. The game will be decided on the day, with extra-time and penalties if required so Rhyl will have to be 'on-the-ball' to progress in this season's competition.

The 7-0 defeat at Llanelli prior to Christmas will surely spur the team on in this match. Without taking anything away from Llanelli - who were a very accomplished side, it was just one of those days on a very heavy pitch. Rhyl had as much second-half possession as they had in the first half but just couldn't get the ball in the net.

Rhyl do have a Goalkeeper crisis for the match as Danny Embleton is cup-tied (with Conwy United) and Lee Hughes has decided to leave the club. It is believed that the Welsh Schools goalkeeper has been signed as his replacement.

Rhyl's top striker Danny Barton is optimistic about Saturday's game; "Llanelli away on Saturday. A very tough game but things have improved over the last three weeks with all the young players coming through and a shock result could be on the cards!! especially as Llanelli's form has dipped of late. Watch this space.", "A result there would lift the whole club!".

Apart from the goalkeeping  issue, it looks being the side who performed so admirably under the awful conditions at Aber on Tuesday.

The coach leaves Belle Vue at 7.45 am.

The team really does value your support, so if you can make it down to cheer the lads on, please do so!!!

Visit the Llanelli FC Website:

Wednesday, 9th February, 2000.

Match Report: Aberystwyth 2 Rhyl 1 (LoW Match)

The gale force winds, rain, thunder and lightning that lit up Penglais Hill was more akin to a Hitchcock novel than a backdrop to a League of Wales match.  But these were the conditions that both sides and the hardy souls who turned up had to endure for 90 tortuous minutes.

The play in both halves was confined to the Police Station end of the ground, and when some plastic sheeting fell from the TV gantry onto the linesman, the crowd really wondered how much longer this nonsense could go on for. 

Rhyl held Aber at bay until shortly before the interval when an excellent corner from the left was headed in at close range by Martin Griffiths. This was a body blow after doing so well but at least Rhyl were going to have the wind behind them in the second half.

The game continued in very much the same vain, with Aber seeming to make more headway up-wind without really looking like scoring. Rhyl soon levelled matters, the equaliser also coming from a corner. Jon Fisher-Cooke's wind assisted effort flying into the top left hand corner with the goalkeeper caught in no-mans land. This should have been the catalyst for a Rhyl onslaught but Aber, in the most constructive move against the elements saw a Glyndwr Hughes cross headed in  to make it 2-1 almost from the restart.

The rest of the game was all Rhyl, and it seemed only a matter of time before another goal was pulled back. Peter Evans came closest with a powerful drive from the outside of the box which shaved the post, and there were also chances for Fisher-Cooke, Steve Jones, Barton and Darren Wynne.

Some curious refereeing decisions infuriated both sides. Corners were given in place of goal kicks and vice-versa, and from Rhyl's point of view blatant time wasting was not penalised in any way. The decision to play no injury time at  the very end was also a mystery, especially after both trainers had been on the pitch for an extended time treating two Aber defenders hurt in a collision.

Notwithstanding all this, the result was probably a fair one.  Aber scored against the elements which Rhyl didn't and deserve the win, but this game was nothing short of a lottery, and a farsical one at that.

Team: Embleton, Fuller, Curtis, Anthrobus, Brewerton, Wynne, Fisher-Cooke, P Evans, Barton, Jones, K Evans.  

Tuesday, 8th February, 2000

Preview: Aberystwyth v. Rhyl (Kick Off: 7.30pm)

Rhyl set off on their second coastal visit of the week at 3.15 pm this afternoon, hoping to emulate last weekend's victory at Afan Lido. With work and college commitments thwarting manager Adie Jones' hopes of fielding a regular side, the match will give some of the fringe players a chance to prove their worth at this level.

At one time Park Avenue was regarded as Three Points Avenue for Rhyl fans as wins were achieved on the first two visits. Aber have since recorded two 2-1 wins and in between there was a 1-1 draw in 1997/98.

Aber lost 2-1 at Cwmbran in rather controversial circumstances on Saturday when Aneurin Thomas was sent-off for a handling offence in the penalty box. They will be looking to get their own title aspirations back on track with a glut of games left for them to catch up on. If they were to win the four games in hand they would only be two points behind leaders Barry Town.

So a tough test for Rhyl tonight. It's very windy on the West Wales Coast at the moment so if you're thinking of travelling down bring your winter woolies and keep well wrapped up.

See you there!

Saturday, 5th February, 2000:


A Mark Anthrobus headed goal four minutes from the end was enough to see Rhyl record their first win of 2000, and indeed their first win since the first Saturday of December 1999.

The match was far from a classic though, played on a gluepot of a pitch the ball had little bounce and both teams found it hard to play constructive football.

Lido shaded the first half even though Dan 'the man' Barton had two good opportunities to put Rhyl ahead. Lido's wingers were a constant threat and Rhyl had to rely on good fortune to still be in with a shout at the interval.

The second half was a more even game. Rhyl threatened with Karl Evans and Fisher-Cooke on the wings and the running of Darren Wynne and Peter Evans caused problems in the middle of the pitch.

With the game looking like heading for stalemate, Gary Curtis flighted a free-kick to Danny Barton on the edge of the box, and he, despite the attentions of two home defenders turned on a sixpence to lay on a superb cross for the onrushing Anthrobus to head over Thomas in goal and into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Lido surged forward in search of an equaliser but Danny Embleton stopped everything that they could muster.

This was a welcome and much-needed win with games coming up at Aberystwyth on Tuesday and Llanelli in the Cup on Saturday.

Team: Embleton. Pickthall, Curtis, Brewerton, Anthrobus, Wynne, Fisher-Cooke, Peter Evans,  Barton, Steve C Jones, Karl Evans (sub Dave Fuller). Subs not used: M Rutter, P Pomford.

Friday, 4th February, 2000.

Preview of Afan Lido v. Rhyl

For the second time this season, Rhyl embark on the long road down to Aberavon hoping for an upturn in fortunes.

Rhyl were supposed to have played against the Lido in October but the game was controversially called-off due to a 'waterlogged' pitch. Notification was received too late to prevent the Rhyl coach and supporters leaving, and an about-turn outside Oswestry was required. Some fans still made it down, and were aghast to find the pitch unplayable when all the other games in the area were still on, including the table-topping Port Talbot v. Llandarcy Welsh league match a mile up the road.

Mark Anthrobus is back in contention for a centre-defensive role after his suspension, and the youngsters who debuted last week also look like figuring in this crucial match.

Past matches at the Lido have been tense affairs, with the homesters getting the better of things. There is however parallels between this season and the 1995-96 season when Rhyl were struggling in the league. A spirited but makeshift Rhyl side stunned the hosts by securing a vital 3-2 win early in January.

Lido have seen an upturn in their fortunes recently so - weather permitting - Rhyl will really have to perform well to get anything from the game. 

"Rhyl must win, I'm parched!!"

A new -year's resolution not to drink until Rhyl have won a game is proving disastrous for local sales of Amstel. The author of this web-site committed himself to the resolution and has so far been true to his word. There is an omen however, the last time he made such a resolution was in 1996 and Rhyl went and won (albeit unexpectedly) at Afan Lido in the first week of the year.

Should the Amstel start flowing again on Saturday night the author would like to apologise in advance for the lateness in updating this site!

Weekend Results
Fri 28/01/00
Inter Cardiff - Carmarthen Town 0 - 4
Sat 29/01/00
Connah's Quay  - Haverfordwest  2 - 2
Aberystwyth Town - Bangor City 2 - 1
Rhyl - Newtown 2 - 3
Barry Town - Rhayader Town 2 - 0
Llanelli AFC - Cwmbran Town 1 - 3
Caernarfon Town - Afan Lido FC 0 - 3
Llansantffraid - Cefn Druids 0 - 3

Light at the end of the tunnel?
A second half collapse allowed Newtown to leave Belle Vue with the points after Rhyl had shown an improvement on previous performances.

The turnstiles were still clicking when Danny Barton rounded the goalie to rocket home the game's opener after four minutes. Rhyl continued to look dangerous on the attack and with Jamie Brewerton and Chris Taylor forming a competent partnership in central defence Rhyl dominated the next fifteen minutes, restricting the visitors to long range efforts.

Newtown's equaliser came from some wizardry from Justin Whickam down the right wing after 23 mins. His cross being turned into his own net by Chris Taylor.  

Within three minutes Rhyl's goal king Danny Barton had put the 'Whites in front, tapping home at close range after a left-wing corner.  Newtown came back strongly and after 39 minutes Whickham beat Gary Curtis on the by-line and saw his cross rammed home by Williams. 2-2 at half-time.

Sadly Rhyl did not match their first half performance after the interval, although things could have turned out differently had Aaran Thomas' cheeky back-heel not been cleared off the line early on. As it was, goalscoring opportunities were few and far between  and Newtown were able to take the spoils with a Williams goal on 57 minutes.

Manager Adie Jones can take heart from the first half performance however, and with four former Reserve players playing in the team the future looks bright.

Team: Embleton, Pickthall, Curtis, Brewerton, Taylor, Wynne, Fisher-Cooke, P Evans, Barton, A Thomas, K Evans. Sub: Steve Jones for Aaron Thomas.

Next Match:

Tues 1/2/2000: Away v. Connah's Quay (Floodlit League) 7.30pm

Sat 29/1/2000: Preview

Rhyl to Rock the Robins?Rhyl v. Newtown. Saturday 2:30pm

Next Match -  Rhyl v. Newtown (LoW) (2.30pm)

All eyes will be on Belle Vue this Saturday as Rhyl attempt to halt their poor run of form. Last Friday's defeat at Cefn has put the team perilously close to the relegation zone and points on the board are certainly what are needed.

Newtown lie in ninth position, eight points ahead of the Lilywhites on 26 but will not relish the trip to Belle Vue. Rhyl have a good home record against them, and they are still haunted by the Welsh Cup semi-final defeat to Bangor City at the ground in 1998.

Newtown play attractive football and usually bring a few supporters with them so make sure you're there at 2.30pm to roar the 'Whites on to victory!

Tue 25/1/2000: Goals bonanza for Rhyl!

Rhyl fielded two teams in matches last night and came away with victories in both. A first XI featuring many local players beat a North Wales School's XI while a Reserve XI featuring several Reserve and Youth players travelled to Mold Alex in the North Wales Floodlit League and won 12-0!

Rhyl v  North Wales Schools 3-1

Jon Fisher-CookeRhyl's Jon Fisher-Cooke (pictured) did his hopes of representing the Welsh Schools team no harm when he scored his team's only goal against Rhyl in last nights entertaining game. His goal came from a delightful volley from outside the box after 50 mins. A youthful looking Rhyl team took the lead on 42 mins when Liam Murray stooped to head home from a corner after the N Wales School's goalkeeper had been unable to meet the ball. Chris Taylor put Rhyl ahead on 73 mins after a goalmouth scramble and Danny Barton made sure of the victory on 82 mins with a typical poacher's goals. 
L Hughes, S Pickthall, G Curtiss, M Antrobus, C Taylor, P Armstrong, S Morgan, P Evans, D Barton, A Thomas, K Evans.
Subs: L Murray for A Thomas, M Rutter for S Morgan, J Brewerton for M Antrobus, C Ingram for G Curtiss

Floodlit League Fixtures Announced
Tue 1/2/2000 Away at Connah's Quay
Tue 8/2/2000 Home v. Porthmadog
Tue 15/2/2000 Home v. Colwyn Bay
Tue 22/2/2000 Home v. Llandudno

Weekend Results
Fri 21/01/00
Cefn Druids - Rhyl  4 - 0
Sat 22/01/00
Connah's Quay Nomads - Conwy United 10 - 0
Carmarthen Town - Caernarfon Town 3 - 1
Barry Town - Aberystwyth Town 3 - 3
Bangor City - Llanelli AFC 1 - 3
Haverfordwest County - Inter Cardiff AFC 2 - 1
Rhayader Town - Afan Lido FC 0 - 1
Cwmbran Town - Llansantffraid 0 - 2

More woe for Rhyl!

The losing streak continues after an unconvincing performance at Plaskynaston. Under the cosh for most of the game, Rhyl held the score down to 1-0 until an off-the-ball penalty incident led to Chris Taylor being shown the red card. Cefn's Rowlands scored from the resulting penalty.

Pinard then lobbed a delighful goal over the head of Embleton seven minutes from time,  and Rowland's completed the misery for Rhyl when he notched his second from the penalty spot after a foul in the box.

Match Preview:
Friday 21st Jan: Away at Cefn Druids (ko 7.30pm)

Rhyl's last five
Druids' last five : WWWLL

This is a crucial match for Rhyl. On the back of five straight defeats the club has slipped alarmingly from a comfortable position at the beginning of December to 12th.

Rhyl have already played the Druids three times this season, winning the Ground Centenary match but drawing, then getting beaten in a League Cup replay at Belle Vue.

Plaskynaston has been a happy hunting ground for the Rhyl team and fans alike since the early 90's when both clubs were pitched against each other in the Cymru Alliance. Rhyl won the Alliance League Cup Final against Gresford there in May 1993, and in the first Welsh Cup game after the '93 final the 'Whites enjoyed a five goal victory.

That game was very memorable to supporter 'John the Gas'. In the second half excitement he lost his footing on the bank behind the goal and rolled to the bottom in his nice white jacket. He wasn't so "Lilywhite" at the end of the game!!!

There is now a Social Club on the ground at Druids so Rhyl supporters will no longer have to navigate the steep steps down to the ground from the centre of the village.

It promises to be a cracking night's entertainment so come along and cheer the lads on to victory!

Tuesday 18/1/2000
Bangor City v Rhyl 3-2 (League of Wales)

Rhyl got back on track with a spirited performance at Farrar Road but still ended the match in defeat. Dave Fuller put Rhyl ahead from the penalty spot before goals from Paul Roberts and Sean Hazeldean put the hosts in command at half-time.

Rhyl looked to have salvaged a point from the match when Aaran Thomas, appearing against his old club for the first time, equalised on 83 minutes. But within a minute Scott Williams was on hand to restore the Citizens advantage.

Friday 14/1/2000
Llanelli- Barry Town 2 - 1
Aberystwyth Town - Rhayader Town 3 - 1
Saturday 15/1/2000
Afan Lido - Carmarthen Town 0 - 0
Caernarfon Town - Haverfordwest County 0 - 4
Cwmbran Town - Rhyl  5 - 0
Flexsys Cefn Druids - Caersws 1 - 3
Newtown  - Connah's Quay Nomads 0 - 1
Llansantffraid - Bangor City 2 - 1

Rhyl's run of woe continued down at Cwmbran with another heavy defeat. Rhyl have now conceded 19 goals in the last four games and must improve if points are to be gleamed from the forthcoming games against Bangor on Tuesday and Cefn Druids on Friday.

Back to Rhyl FC News Archive Index