News Archive : 2001/2002

Saturday 1/12/2001

Rhyl v Newport County MATCH OFF!
Tuesday's scheduled FAW Premier Cup group match has been cancelled due to Newport's participation in the FA Trophy. Details of the re-arranged date will appear on these pages as soon as known.

Rhyl 2 Oswestry Town 0
Oswestry made it tough for Rhyl with some resolute defending, but they had no answer to two killer strikes from Nick Welton and Gareth Wilson which were enough to secure the three points. Rhyl looked the livelier up front, but for all their possession it took fully 35 minutes before the deadlock was broken. Some good work from John Durnin saw him feed Nick Welton with a square ball and he made no mistake from close-range. Oswestry came more into the game after the interval, creating several clear-cut chances which could so easily have levelled matters. It was five minutes from time that Gareth Wilson eased the nerves somewhat with a clinical finish after some great build-up play. Manager Lee Williams, who picked up his Manager of the Month award for October prior to the game, said that "Victory was more important than performance", and coming on the back of two disappointing results that this was just the tonic the team needed.

RHYL: L Wiiliams, C Webster, L Coathup, J Brewerton, Hinnigan (R Williams 56"), J Stannard, G Wilson, N Welton, Durnin (M Cross 45"), G Williams (M Jones 67").

Attendance: 202

Tuesday 4/12/2001

Durnin leaves Rhyl
Rhyl have parted ways with ex Oxford United and Portsmouth star John Durnin following Saturday's match against Oswestry. Durnin has played an important role in the club's progress to date, and leaves the club with our best wishes.

McGoona a target
Rhyl have given seven days notice of approach to Caernarfon about their interest in Danny McGoona. This interest stems from the recent match at Caernarfon in which he starred in a 3-2 Rhyl defeat.

Friendly match
Buckley have kindly agreed to send a team to Belle Vue on Wednesday for a friendly match. Kick Off: 7.30pm.

Wednesday 5/12/2001

Tonight's friendly match v Buckley is OFF

Saturday's match at Caersws
The coach for Caersws leaves Belle Vue at 10.45am on Saturday. Supporters should phone Dave Armstrong on 01745 337434 to book their seats.

Saturday 8/12/2001

More woe at the Rec!
Caersws 2 Rhyl 0
Rhyl opened brightly, and could so easily have been ahead at the interval if chances had been taken. Goalkeeper Griffiths was in fine form however, and his point blank blocks from Stannard and Berry preserved the lead earned by Graham Evans when he lobbed the ball over 'keeper Williams into the net on 12 minutes. Matters did not improve after the break as Caersws ruled the midfield and extended their advantage with another shot from the lethal Evans. Rhyl's best effort to claw back a goal came from a sweet move down the right which saw Welton fire over, and a corner in which Griffiths did well to block from a Welton header. Rhyl struggled on the heavy surface and will be keen to make amends when they face Cwmbran at Belle Vue next Saturday.

RHYL: L Williams, Webster, Coathup, Jackson, Brewerton, Hennigan, Stannard, Wilson, Berry (R Williams), Welton, Cross

Attendance: 220

FAW Premier Cup
It now seems inevitable that the postponed home game against Newport will be played at Belle Vue early in the new year.

Friday 14/12/2001

Supporters Football Team
Rhyl FC fans are teaming up to play supporters of other clubs prior to League of Wales matches. Afan Lido have already accepted a challenge to play prior to the game at Belle Vue on the 5th of January, and others are also in the pipeline. Informal training sessions have already been held and any Rhyl fans who would like to join in with the fun are welcome to contact Glyn Turner on

Norwegian Visitors
Rhyl Football Club's Norwegian Supporters enjoyed their trip to watch the home game against Aberystwyth and the away match at Newport County last month. They also managed to squeeze in the Wrexham v Cardiff fixture during their short stay in Wales. Here are some pictures of them at Newport County in the Premier Cup...

vikings1.jpg (15653 bytes)
vikings2.jpg (19821 bytes)

Saturday 15/12/2001

Something to crow about!
Rhyl 1 Cwmbran Town 0
Rhyl got the campaign back on track with an important win against last season's UEFA Cup entrants at Belle Vue. Gareth Wilson bagged the all-important goal on 55 minutes after a scoreless first half. Full report to follow.

Supporters' club on the cards?
The growing interest in the fortunes of the club looks like leading to the setting up of a Supporters Club. Plans are in-hand for a launch meeting in January, and anyone interested in becoming involved is asked to email Bryn Williams on .

Wednesday 19/12/2001

Premier Cup fixture
Rhyl's remaining group fixture against Newport County will take place at Belle Vue on Tuesday 8th January, 2002 at 7:30pm.

Away Travel

The coach to Carmarthen on Saturday will leave Belle Vue at 7:30am. Fare will be £5. Please contact Dave Armstrong on  01745 337434 to reserve your place.

Supporters Club Meeting
There will be a Rhyl Supporters Club meeting being held at Caskeys on Monday 28th January 2002 at 7.30pm. All are welcome to attend.

Saturday 22/12/2001

Second half revival not enough!
Carmarthen Town 1 Rhyl 0
A 16th. minute goal by Towns Sion Meredith was enough to secure the three points at Richmond Park this afternoon in a somewhat dour, disjointed and tightly contested match.

After a very bright opening by Carmarthen they seemed to lose their way and play became increasingly disjointed as the game wore on but Rhyl failed to capitalise on openings to redress the balance.

The early exchanges produced a Sion Meredith run but his cross went agonisingly across the goal mouth and three on rushing Town forwards failed to connect and at the other end Rhyls most effective forward Nick Welton had his goal bound shot blocked by Wyn Thomas who had a great game all afternoon.

What transpired to be the winning goal came on 16 minutes when Chris Summers wove his way around three or four defenders and into the Rhyl box. He drove the ball across the goalmouth for Sion Meredith to slot it in at the far post to give Town a deserved lead.

Rhyl almost equalised five minutes later when Welton and Andy Green combined effectively to provide Green with a header that glanced the top of the bar and out of play. Town were having the best of the first half and on the stroke of half time should have increased their lead when Summers and Ryan Nicholls combined well but Nicholls final shot was well saved by Williams.

Following the break Rhyl took up the initiative and had the best of the play. Welton was always in the thick of the action and five minutes following the break forced an excellent save from Fitzgerald . With Carmarthen unable to retain possession Rhyl held the upper hand for periods in the second half but Towns defensive trio held firm at the back.

With opportunities falling to both sides neither managed to capitalise on openings created. But with just the one goal separating the sides it was a great relief to the home supporters to hear the final whistle in what was a very lacklustre (and very cold) affair. (
Thanks to Vince James for his report)

Rhyl: Lee Williams, Colin Webster, Lee Coathup, Michael Jackson,James Brewerton, Ged Hennigan, John Stannard, Mick Jones, Nick Welton, Andy Green, Matthew Cross

Attendance 432.

Wednesday 26/12/01

Panto on Vue!
Rhyl 0 Connah's Quay 4
If anyone needed a reminder that it was the festive season then they could have done no worse than being at Belle Vue today. With heavy rain and sleet making the ground conditions heavy it was Rhyl who started on fire. Andy Green spurning the best chance after only five minutes when he broke through on his own, only to see his shot hit the side netting from ten yards out. With the game descending into a muddy scrap it was Nomads who made the breakthrough when Stuart Raine was found with a long ball and he raced in from the right to score from an acute angle after 19 mins. Nomads took control of matters afterwards and Kenworthy soon added another with a clinical finish from twenty yards.  With Rhyl losing the ball in midfield all too often, it was defensive blunder from Jackson that saw Nomads increase their lead. His short back pass was intercepted by Kenworthy and his effort looped over Lee Williams and into the net on 31 minutes.

The second half followed much in the same vein with both Rhyl and Nomads losing the ball regularly in a midfield slog. Little flowing football was played by either side, but enough was played by Nomads for Stuart Terry to race through and put his side four goals up on 59 minutes.

Rhyl had a period of pressure late on, only coming close to scoring late on when Nomads 'keeper Mullinor kicked fresh air while attempting a clearance kick - only for a Nomads defender to clear frantically off the line. Rhyl lacked bite today and will be looking for a vast improvement when they set off for the longest trek of the season on Saturday to Haverfordwest.

RHYL: Lee Williams, Colin Webster, Lee Coathup, Michael Jackson, James Brewerton (Matthew Cross), Ged Hennigan, John Stannard, Gareth Wilson (Andy Jones), Nick Welton, Andy Green, Andy Moran. Sub not used: Mick Jones

Attendance: 196

Saturday 29/12/2001

Happy New Year! - Brewie inspires win!
Report: Haverfordwest County 1 Rhyl 2 (LoW)

Goal Number 1 Andy Moran scores Rhyl's opener

Andy Moran. Ged Hennigan and Robbie Williams celebrate the opening goal.

Goal Celebration
Lee WilliamsConcern when lke Manager Lee Williams was floored in a duel with two home forwards and had to be taken to hospital in the first half. We are pleased to announce that he was well enough to travel back on the coach and wish to thank everyone at Haverfordwest County for their help in the matter.

Rhyl were made to battle hard for this win after losing goalkeeper/manager Lee Williams five minutes before the interval and having to play the entire second half with defender James Brewerton in goal. Rhyl controlled matters in the first half, in a game not too dis-similar to that at Belle Vue on Wednesday but with Rhyl in the ascendancy. Several chances fell to Steve Futcher, Green and Moran before Robbie Williams latched on to a long ball and fed Moran for his tame shot to squirm past goalkeeper Peter Blain. Worse was to come for the home side shortly afterwards when Steve Futcher scored one of his characteristic 35 yard blasters into the top left of the net, leaving the whole crowd stunned. Lee Williams was then called upon to save a penalty after a H'west striker was brought down in the box. The taker shot to his left but Lee was able to block and the danger was cleared. Then came the incident which delayed the match for 25 minutes and saw Lee Williams being taken to Withybush hospital in an ambulance. Haverfordwest were pressing dangerously and in one such attack Williams raced off his line but was felled in an accidental challenge with two home players. The ball looped towards goal, only to be cleared off the line by Lee Coathup but goalie Williams lay motionless in his penalty area. Play was held up while an ambulance was called from nearby Withybush hospital, and he was taken away and given a once over before returning in time for the coach journey home.

James Brewerton took over between the sticks in the second half and produced an inspired performance to keep the home team at bay. They enjoyed the majority of the territorial advantage but could only pull one back. Rhyl had their chances at the other end, and Andy Moran will rue the several chances he missed which could have made the game safe. There were gasps of relief from the Rhyl crowd when the final whistle blew but three points is three points and Rhyl's makeshift team, which saw a complete change in midfield from Wednesday deserved the three points.

RHYL: Lee Williams (Andy Jones), Webster, Coathup, Jackson, Brewerton, Hennigan (Welton), R Williams, Nick Brookman, Steve Futcher, Andy Green, Andy Moran.