News Archive : 2001/2002

Wednesday 3/10/2001

Cup hopes dashed!
Caernarfon 1 Rhyl 1 - League Cup

Draw specialists Rhyl failed to break down hosts Caernarfon in the second half, despite having the lion's share of play. It was Rhyl old-boy Tommy Mutton who broke the deadlock early in the first half, only for Colin Webster to notch his first senior goal for Rhyl shortly after. This is how is stayed until the interval, and despite being the most creative of the two sides afterwards, there was no further scoring.

Rhyl's hopes of qualifying for the Knock-Out stages of the League Cup are effectively over. Bangor City top the group and go through, while Rhyl wait in hope of one of the runners up qualifying berths.

Tuesday 9/10/2001

Preview: Carmarthen v Rhyl (tonight 7.30pm)

Points make cash prizes tonight as Rhyl embark on their second season of FAW/BBC Premier Cup football with a tough trip to Carmarthenshire. There is a big cash incentive for finishing first or second in the group stage, with the added bonus of a guaranteed home tie against one of the seeded clubs, Cardiff, Wrexham, Swansea or Barry.

Rhyl should have a full side to choose from, but will be without the non-contracted Merthyr Tydfil players who Lee Williams had originally arranged to 'borrow', this following changes at Penydarren Park. Kick Off is 7:30pm. The coach leaves Belle Vue at 1pm if you would like to join the many already making the trip. 

Tuesday 9/10/2001

Carmarthen 2 Rhyl 0 - Premier Cup
With three regulars unable to make the trip South, Lee Williams gave starts to Nicky Brookman in the back line and Mick Jones and Steve Futcher in the centre of midfield. Rhyl opened strongly, with John Stannard in superb form down the right flank. John Durnin and Robbie Williams had efforts saved before a Carmarthen breakaway saw Ryan Nicholls capitalise on a slip from Colin Webster to beat Southall from a tight angle. The second half saw more flowing football from both sides, with Rhyl dominating midfield without really troubling Fitzgerald in goal. Stannard was well marshalled, but it was Robbie Williams who had Rhyl's beat chance of scoring when he raced through four challenges only to lose his footing at the death. Rhyl's aspirations took another knock late on when Dean Rossiter's deflected effort beat Southall, and despite forcing some corners late on, Rhyl were unable to claw anything back.

Friday 12/10/2001

The Big Match: Rhyl v Bangor (Saturday 2.30pm)

Belle Vue is the place to be this Saturday as Rhyl and Bangor meet head to head in an eagerly anticipated one-off Welsh Cup tie. Rhyl manager Lee Williams will be boosted by the return of  Gareth Wilson and Nick Welton to the squad, although James Brewerton will be unavailable.  A huge crowd is expected for this tussle of the two best supported sides on the coast. Early arrival for the 2:30pm kick-off is recommended to avoid the congestion around Belle Vue  before kick-off.

Usual admission prices apply, £5 adults and £3 concessions.

The Match and Ball is sponsored by Munchkins Day Nursery, who are based in Rhyl Road, Rhuddlan and Kingsley Avenue, Rhyl. We thank them for their valued support.

Saturday 13/10/2001

Southall heroics not enough in demolition derby!
Rhyl 1 Bangor City 2

Rhyl fell to a disappointing home defeat as visitors Bangor City turned on the style in this rip-roaring Welsh Cup match. Former Welsh International Neville Southall was the Rhyl hero, but he could do nothing to stop Simon Davies' effort as it thundered into the top corner after four minutes. Bangor threatened  to over-run Rhyl, but as the half wore on, Rhyl started to play some neat football down the wing which resulted in Gareth Wilson bagging an equaliser.
The second half opened in much the same vein, and Bangor again went ahead when a Simon Davies cross deceived Southall to land into the back of the net. Rhyl had no answers as the onslaught continued. Southall kept Rhyl in with a chance, but despite forcing a corner and having a few longe-range efforts, Priestley's goal was never in danger. Bangor hit the post before the end, and on the day were deserved winners. Good luck to them in the next round.

Rhyl will now need to buck themselves up for an important Premier Cup fixture against Cwmbran at Port Talbot on Tuesday, before taking on full-timers Barry at Belle Vue in the League on Saturday.

The coach to Port Talbot leaves Belle Vue at 1pm on Tuesday. Please give Dave Armstrong a call on 01745 337434 if you wish to travel.

Tuesday 16/10/2001

Dramatic last minute goal seals Premier points
Cwmbran 2 Rhyl 3
Fantastic performance and result at Port Talbot last night with a makeshift team.  Rhyl were 2-0 down after a wayward Brookman pass let Cwmbran through, and then a Bohana trip in the box gave them a penalty which went right as Lee dived  left.

The game was pretty tight in the second half until Rhyl had the rub of the green for the first time in a while; David's attempt at a headed clearance landed for John Durnin to volley home with the aid of a deflection.

Then a Stannard corner was headed home perfectly by   Michael Jackson from six yards out, and with the last kick  of the game, Steve Futcher took a Durnin pass and  fired a fantastic winner into the bottom right of O'Hagan's goal. The match restarted and the ref blew the whistle straight away!

Great scenes afterwards, and a valuable first three points in this season's competition.

Rhyl: L Williams, Brookman, Curtis (Futcher), Jackson, Webster, Bohana (debut) (replaced Mick Jones), Stannard, Andy Jones, D O'Gorman (Karl Evans), Durnin,Cross.

Attendance: approx 93

Friday 19/10/2001

Preview: Champions at Belle Vue
Rhyl v Barry Town (Saturday,2.30pm)
Ex-Barry player Justin Perry could make his Rhyl debut  against his former club on Saturday. Lee Williams has moved to boost the strikepower ahead of the tough encounter against the reigning champions. New signing Joe Hinnigan could also feature, but back in the side will be James Brewerton, who has returned from holiday. Gary Curtis looks like being rested after picking up a knock at Port Talbot on Tuesday.

Barton leaves for Caernarfon
Rhyl's top LoW goalscorer Danny Barton has been transferred along the North Wales coast to Caernarfon Town. Rhyl manager Lee Williams said: "Danny had asked for a move after being dropped against Rhayader Town. I told him he could not be guaranteed a place and he felt he needed a change."

Danny twice won the Supporters' Player of the Season award whilst at Rhyl, and has been a valued member of the team -   scoring some memorable goals.  He takes our very best wishes with him to the Oval.

Saturday 20/10/2001

Champions humbled - on fire Rhyl destroy Barry
Rhyl 3 Barry Town 1
What a difference a week makes! After arguably the worst performance of   Lee Williams' reign against Bangor last week, Rhyl have since gone on to record victories against last season's top two in the space of only seven days!  Today's showing was full of grit and determination. Barry Town took the lead when a Jenkins 'curler'  floated over Williams into the net after only four minutes. Rhyl were on even terms within 60 seconds. John Stannard made a powerful run down the right wing and crossed for Nick Welton to fire home convincingly from just inside the box. The game continued at a frantic pace, with the Rhyl defence coping well with the full-timers' onslaught. Only once was the goal seriously threatened, and on that occasion the crossbar came to Rhyl's aid before Cross cleared the rebound.

Rhyl came out all guns a'blazing after the interval with debutant and old-boy Justin Perry a constant thorn in their defence's side. It was he who put Rhyl ahead, breaking through to knock home a John Durnin cross from ten yards. Barry came back strongly, missing a few close-range efforts before right at the end Rhyl sealed matters. Gareth Wilson made the most of a muddle between two Barry defenders to break through and provide a perfectly flighted cross for the unmarked Mathew Cross to head convincingly home.

Rhyl fully deserved their win, their first over Barry since 1994, and the first ever since they turned fully professional!!

Tuesday 23/10/2001

Match goes ahead despite sad loss
Rhyl v Carmarthen (Tonight, 7:30pm)
Carmarthen have made the decision to travel up to Belle Vue for tonight's fixture despite the sad bereavement of their assistant manager Ray Davies over the weekend. Ray joined Carmarthen two seasons ago and has played an important part in the club's success. He was formerly manager at Haverfordwest and Briton Ferry, and was on Swansea's books as a youngster. All at Rhyl FC wish to express their condolences to his family and friends at this sad time. 

There will be a minute's silence in memory of Mr Davies  prior to tonight's game.

Tuesday 23/10/2001

Shot-shy Rhyl fall to home defeat
Rhyl 1 Carmarthen 2 - Premier Cup
The hysteria of Saturday's performance proved shortlived as visitors Carmarthen edged closer to their qualification for the quarter final stages with this valuable victory. Rhyl were forced to make several changes from Saturday due to the unavailablility of strikers Perry and Welton, and the makeshift front line struggled against a resolute away rearguard. It was breached on only one occasion, and then Dave O'Gorman broke through only to see his effort blocked by Fitzgerald. At the other end, Rhyl had an early let off when Shaun Chapple's effort rebounded off the crossbar and to safety. A lame mis-headed clearance by Jackson shortly before half-time gave Carmarthen the lead, and this was made into two goals after 55 mins when a game of pinball in the penalty box ended with Chapple slotting home. Rhyl pulled one goal back with ten minutes to go. A John Durnin free-kick was parried by Fitzgerald and James Brewerton managed to get in front of the defender to fire home. Rhyl forced a series of corners before the end but were unable to trouble Fitzgerald again.

RHYL: L Williams, S Futcher, A Jones, M Jackson, C Webster, J Brewerton, J Stannard, G Wilson, D O'Gorman (R Williams), J Durnin, M Cross.

Friday 26/10/2001

Preview: Llanelli v Rhyl (Saturday, 2.30pm)
Rhyl have a full side to choose from for this weekend's encounter at Stebonheath Park. Rhyl have never won there since joining the league, and will be keen to get back on track after Tuesday's disappointing showing. New signing Jed Hinnigan could feature now that his International clearance has come through.

The coach leaves Belle Vue at 8am. Please contact Dave Armstrong on 01745 337434 if you wish to travel.

Saturday 27/10/2001

Perry and Welton on fire! First win at Stebonheath!
Llanelli 0 Rhyl 3

llanelli-stannard.jpg (9282 bytes)

Steve Futcher and Nick Welton in the centre of the action. John Stannard with one of his trademark sorties into the Llanelli box

Justin Perry stated after the game that he was quite happy enjoying his football at Rhyl, and it is no surprise after emulating Lee Trundle's feat of scoring a hat-trick against the Sospan men. His first came in a drab first half devoid of many goalscoring opportunities. Nick Welton fed him the ball, and noticing goalkeeper Davies off his line, he lobbed the ball over his head and into the net from some thirty yards. His second, midway through the second half was again as the result of some good work from Welton. He saw his fierce shot parried by Davies only for Perry to fire the rebound home with aplomb. Completing a hat-trick of assists, Welton again fed Perry with a left-wing cross and the Geordie striker made no mistake with a close range effort.

All in all a comfortable win for Rhyl, and one which keeps them up in contention at the top of the table.

RHYL: Williams, Futcher, A Jones, M Jackson, C Webster, J Brewerton (R Williams), J Stannard (G Wilson), J Perry, Welton, Hinnigan, M Cross. 

Wednesday 31/10/2001

Mountain to climb in Premier Cup
Rhyl 1 Cwmbran Town 1
(Report courtesy of
The visitors, Cwmbran claimed their first point of the campaign with a deserved 1-1
draw at Belle Vue that effectively ended both clubs chances of claiming a quarter
final place. In torrential rain, the conditions deteriorated badly, but both teams never
stopped trying to pass the ball on the excellent surface.
Rhyl took the lead after 7 mins, when Nick Welton finished from close range, after
Colin Webster's free kick broke free from Justin Perry in the area, and the ball broke
loose to Welton, who finished with aplomb. Rhyl dominated the first half
and could have increased their lead by the interval, but didnt due to a little lack of
composure in front of goal.
The second half was totally different, as Cwmbran really came back into the game
and they deservedly equalised through Anthony Wright after 81 mins. Wrights shot,
after being put through by Sean Mainwaring's pass, from the edge of the area, sped
off the wet pitch and Lee Williams got to it, but it ricocheted of him into into the roof
of the net.
Thats how the game ended which was probably a fair result, but it didnt really help
either teams chances of qualifying for the quarter finals.

RHYL: L Williams, A Jones (N Brookman),  S Futcher (M Jones), M Jackson, C Webster, J Brewerton, R Williams, J Perry, N Welton, G Hennigan (G Wilson), M Cross.

Ground Improvement Latest
Ground improvements at the Coronation Gardens end of  the ground have begun. Firstly the back wall will be raised by three feet before the steelwork for the cover can be installed. It is hoped to have the initial work completed in time for the Wales v Belgium Women's World Cup qualifier on Saturday November 17.This will increase our covered standing capacity to 800.

Rhyl U-14's Girls open with a win
Our new under 14's girls side played their first eleven a side friendly game on Sunday afternoon at Ffordd Derwen against Llysfaen. The girls team will be known as Rhyl FC Cobras under 14 girls. Joint managers Phil Cummins and Carol Hood were delighted with their 10-0 win, which was well supported by parents and three Rhyl FC Directors. Kirsty Hood hit seven goals with Kelsey Evans, Alex Darwin and Danielle Keegan also on target.